DUI Accident Cases Involving Injury or Death
DUI cases involving accidents, injuries or death are among the most serious drunk driving cases people can face. While these cases can involve felony criminal charges and severe penalties upon conviction, they can also have long-term impacts on people’s personal relationships, finances, careers and future.
At Peter Loyd Weber & Associates, our Broomfield and Boulder DUI defense attorneys understand the importance of having a strong defense in DUI accident, injury and death cases, and they are ready to aggressively defend the rights of the accused in any legal setting. If you or loved one has been accused of drunk driving and causing an accident that led to injuries or death, don’t hesitate to contact us today for aggressive legal advocacy and the strongest possible defense.
DUI Accident Cases Involving Injury
For alleged DUI accidents involving an injury, people can end up facing vehicular assault charges (C.R.S. 18-3-205) in addition to DUI charges. In these cases:
- The charges are generally filed as Class 4 felony charges.
- A vehicular assault charge can be filed for each person injured in the accident. For instance, if an alleged DUI accident injured four people, the accused person could face up to four vehicular assault charges (depending, of course, on the details of the accident and case).
- Upon conviction, these charges can be punishable by up to 12 years in prison, as well as thousands of dollars in fines.
DUI Accident Cases Involving Death
In the event that an alleged DUI accident causes fatal injuries, vehicular homicide charges (C.R.S. 18-3-106) can be filed against the person suspected of causing the accident. In these cases:
- The charges are generally filed as Class 3 felony charges.
- A vehicular homicide charge can be filed for each person killed in the accident.
- Upon conviction, these charges can be punishable by up to 24 years in prison, as well as thousands of dollars in fines.
More Important Information about DUI Accident Cases
- Although being involved in a traffic accident can create probable cause for police to suspect drunk driving, officers still have to follow specific procedures when screening drivers suspected of DUI.
- If the suspected people are not conscious in the immediate aftermath of the accident, whether or not their blood was drawn to test their BACs – and whether police had warrant to take this blood sample – can be important elements of a defense case.
- Having an experienced attorney defending you in DUI accident cases will be critical to resolving them as favorably as possible.
Broomfield and Boulder DUI Defense Attorneys at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates
Have you or someone you love been accused of causing a serious DUI accident? If so, the Broomfield and Boulder DUI defense attorneys at the Peter Loyd Weber & Associates are ready to immediately start defending you. Our primary concern is protecting your constitutional rights throughout the criminal process while helping you obtain the best possible outcome to your case.
To discuss your best DUI defense options and how we can help you, contact us today by calling (720) 863-7755 or by emailing us using the contact form on this page. We offer complimentary consultations, and we take pride in always being available to our clients – 24 hours per day, 7 days per week – so that they have the personal attention their case deserves.
From our offices based in Northglenn, Broomfield and Boulder, we provide the strongest defense and highest quality legal services to our clients throughout Weld County, Adams County and the state of Colorado.