In Colorado, a court can order a specific allocation of parenting time (termed parental responsibilities, or more traditionally called custody) distributed between the parents equally, not equally, or not distributed at all. At the law office of Peter Loyd Weber & Associates, we have experience representing clients in all family law matters, including parenting time issues. Having a Colorado family law attorney on your side is crucial when you are thinking of the child’s best interest. Call us at (720) 863-7755 for a free consultation to see how we can help you today!

FAQ’s about allocation of parental responsibilities:

What the child’s other parent and I cannot agree on who should have the child when?

If you and your child’s other parent cannot agree, the court will determine scheduling for parenting time based on the best interests of the child.

Can a court modify an existing order of parenting time?

Yes, a court can modify an existing order of parenting time. There are a variety of reasons a court may do this, including that the child may be danger, or that one parent has a change of circumstances.

What does supervised visitation mean? Who can supervise a visitation?

Supervised visitation means just that – that a parent is supervised during their time with their child. However, every case is different, and supervised may mean a variety of things. Supervision could be by another family member, or someone at the Department of Human Services could also supervise parenting time, or the supervisor could even be a neutral third party provider. For a court to order supervised visitation, there are some serious circumstances involved. You should always consider a Colorado family law attorney to be with you during these types of proceedings and cases.

I cannot go to my child’s other parent’s house, as it makes me nervous. Do I have to drop off our child there?

You can agree with the child’s other parent to exchange the child at a neutral place, or the court can order you to exchange the child at a neutral place.

The other parent is not paying the ordered child support. Can I refuse to allow them to see our child because of that?

No, you cannot do that. Parenting time and child support payments are two separate issues.

What does a termination of parental rights mean?

A termination of parental rights means that after an order of the court, the parent will no longer have legal rights or obligations with respect to the child. Termination of parental rights can either be voluntary (termed relinquishment) or involuntary. In either case, the termination of parental rights is a very serious matter and should not be considered or defended without a Colorado family law attorney.

Visit Our Family Law Blog

The laws in Colorado are constantly changing. Our Family Law Blog attempts to highlight these changing laws. Visit our blog here.