A DUI arrest can complicate your life, especially if the arrest comes over a holiday weekend and you have to sit in jail for a couple of days before being released. Given that July 4th is just days away, now is a good time to start planning ahead so that you don’t end your holiday weekend in jail/facing DUI charges.
Here’s What You Can Do to Avoid Being Arrested for DUI
Before you head out to a July 4th party this weekend, here’s what you can do to minimize the chances you’ll be arrested for a DUI:
- Plan your sober ride now – Don’t wait until you’re buzzed at a party to start looking for a sober ride. Instead, ask around now to try to set up a sober ride to/from your destination. If you can’t find anyone who has room in their car or who is willing to give you a ride, as least you’ll know now so you can plan accordingly.
- Have a backup ride ready just in case – Things don’t always work out as planned, so make sure you have a backup ride in case your plans for a ride fall through. You can do this by having some taxi cab numbers on hand, looking into available public transportation options ahead of time, etc. Depending on where you live, you may even be able to take advantage of free ride share services.
- Book a motel/hotel room now – When rides don’t work out, think about booking a room at a motel or hotel near your party locale. This, of course, will be more expensive than other options for avoiding a DUI, but even if you have to pay $500 for a room for one night, that’s still $9,500 LESS than you would have to pay if you end up being convicted of a DUI.
- Plan to stay somewhere else – Don’t want to stay in a hotel? Then, think creatively… ask a friend or even the host of the party if you can stay with them for the night. Or turn the party into a camping event, so no one has to worry about drunk driving after the party is over.
- Plan a party at home if all else fails – If none of your planning seems to be working out, then you may want to revamp your plans altogether and keep the festivities at (or very close to) home. Although this may not be your top choice for a July 4th party, it can help you avoid drunk driving and a DUI arrest – and this can give you the peace of mind to relax and fully enjoy your holiday celebrations.
The bottom line is that the old adage – “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” – rings true when it comes to avoiding a DUI, as the plans you make now can help you stay out of legal trouble this weekend, allowing you to fully enjoy your July 4th weekend.
Adams County & Boulder DUI Lawyer at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates
Have you or a loved one been charged with a DUI? If so, a trusted Adams County & Boulder DUI lawyer at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates is ready to immediately start defending you.
To talk about your defense and how we can help you, call us today at (720) 863-7755 or email us using the contact form on this page. We offer complimentary consultations, and we take pride in always being available to our clients – 24 hours per day, 7 days per week – so that they have the personal attention their case deserves.
From our offices based in Northglenn, Broomfield and Boulder, we provide the strongest defense and highest quality legal services to our clients throughout Weld County, Adams County and the state of Colorado.