Concluding our blog series Colorado DUI Costs: Here’s How Much a DUI Can Cost You, here, we will wrap up our look at how expensive getting a Colorado DUI can be.
Colorado DUI Costs: Additional Costs
Up until this point, we’ve highlighted the specific court and administrative Colorado DUI costs people may have to cover after being convicted of a DUI.
However, the unfortunately reality is that even those costs may NOT be the only ones that are imposed on people after DUI convictions. In fact, people may also have to deal with other Colorado DUI costs, which can include (but are not necessarily exclusive to):
- More expensive auto insurance rates for years to come – While the additional costs of auto insurance will vary, depending on a person’s provider, his DUI and his overall driving record, these Colorado DUI costs have been estimated by industry experts to about $3,000 over a five-year period.
- Loss of income – One Colorado DUI cost that people often forget to consider is the cost of losing income because they have to miss work to complete community service, attend alcohol education classes or deal with other DUI penalties.
What can make these losses worse are when people end up losing their jobs (or, even worse yet, their professional licenses) due to getting a DUI. These costs can be profound for some people.
- Having a criminal record – Another less immediately tangible cost that people may have to contend with after a DUI conviction can be having to deal with a criminal record for their rest of their lives.
While a criminal record may not end up presenting a problem for some on a daily basis, it can create challenges when people go to apply for higher education opportunities, job opportunities, security clearances, etc.
While the total price tag of these additional Colorado DUI costs is incalculable (because the impacts may end up being life-long for some people), the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) has estimated that first-time DUI in Colorado tends to cost at least $10,270.
Colorado DUI Costs: A Special Word about Paying for a DUI Defense Lawyer
One notable DUI cost that people may also have when they are facing DUI cases is their legal fees if they retain a private, experienced defense attorney, which is recommended when people are serious about having the best possible defense in their case.
Although hiring a lawyer can add to your Colorado DUI costs upfront, it may end up reducing them overall when everything is said and done. This is because, when you have a skilled DUI lawyer – like one of the Adams County and Boulder DUI attorneys at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates – on your side, you will likely:
- Have better chances of avoiding conviction
- Have better chances of working out favorable pleas deals (when a conviction may very probable)
- End up facing less significant Colorado DUI costs – on a financial, psychological and/or personal and professional level.
Adams County and Boulder DUI Attorneys at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates
Have you or a loved one been charged with a DUI? If so, the Adams County and Boulder DUI attorneys at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates are ready to immediately start defending you. To talk about your defense and how we can help you, call us today at (720) 863-7755 or email us using the contact form on this page.
We offer complimentary consultations, and we take pride in always being available to our clients – 24 hours per day, 7 days per week – so that they have the personal attention their case deserves. From our offices based in Northglenn, Broomfield and Boulder, we provide the strongest defense and highest quality legal services to our clients throughout Weld County, Adams County and the state of Colorado.