Colorado DUI charges can be filed against any driver in the state when there is probable cause (and sufficient evidence) to believe that person operated a motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol and/or drugs.
Being pulled over and arrested for an alleged DUI, however, does not only occur when people are driving passenger vehicles. It can also occur in other circumstances – and understanding just when these less common situations may lead to DUI charges can be pivotal to protecting your rights.
Uncommon Ways to Be Arrested for a DUI
- Sitting in a vehicle with the intent to drive – In other words, a traffic officer doesn’t have to witness you actually driving a vehicle in order for a DUI arrest to happen. If the keys are in the ignition and/or the vehicle is running while parked, that can be sufficient to constitute an attempt to operate a vehicle – and if the BAC test results (or other evidence) seems to indicate impairment, the mere intent to drive may serve as probable cause to make a DUI arrest.
- Riding a bicycle – This reveals how a motor vehicle isn’t even necessary for DUI charges to be filed, as riding bikes while impaired can also lead to DUI charges (and the same resulting penalties upon conviction). So, if you think you’re being clever in avoiding a DUI by riding a bike to and from the bar (for instance), think again – because you can be stopped and arrested for a DUI if you seem to be impaired, you’re involved in a crash, etc.
- Riding a horse – Believe it or not, riding horses or other livestock (or vehicles pulled by animals) can also lead to DUI charges. Although police may be less inclined to actually arrest people for DUI when they may be impaired and riding a horse (or another animal), it’s important to know that an arrest still can happen in these situations.
- Riding other motorized vehicles – Operating other motorized vehicles, such as lawnmowers, ATVs, 4-wheelers, golf carts, etc., can also result in DUI charges if or when the operator seems to be impaired. In fact, these other vehicles don’t have to be street-legal for them to open up the possibility of DUI charges.
The Bottom Line on DUI Charges
When it comes to DUI arrests and charges, the bottom line is that any number of situations can result in people being accused of violating the law and facing serious DUI charges. And when this happens, the single best thing you can do is contact an experienced lawyer to help you:
- Identify your best DUI defense options
- Aggressively fight to protect your rights and interests
- Bring your case to the best possible resolution.
Contact a Boulder DUI Attorney at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates
Have you or a loved one been charged with a DUI? If so, an experienced Boulder DUI attorney at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates is ready to immediately start defending you.
Dedicated to protecting our clients, our lawyers have the knowledge and experience necessary to provide you with effective, aggressive legal advocacy while we work diligently to achieve favorable resolutions to your case.
To talk about your defense and how we can help you, call us today at (720) 863-7755 or email us using the contact form on this page. We offer complimentary consultations, and we take pride in always being available to our clients – 24 hours per day, 7 days per week – so that they have the personal attention their case deserves.
From our offices based in Northglenn, Broomfield and Boulder, we provide the strongest defense and highest quality legal services to our clients throughout Weld County, Adams County and the state of Colorado.