Wrapping up our blog series Colorado Marijuana DUIs & Drug Recognition Experts: 6 Facts to Know, below, some additional points to be aware of regarding DREs and their roles in DUI cases will be revealed.
Were You Aware of These Facts about Colorado Marijuana DUIs & Drug Recognition Experts?
Fact 5 – While DREs can be accurate at detecting drug impairment among drivers, one study has found that they get it wrong about 13 percent of the time.
Interestingly, a study conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has found that drug recognition experts are not always accurate or right about assessing when motorists are under the influence of narcotics. In fact, the NTHSA report noted that, in about 1 in every 8 cases, DREs misidentified:
- The drugs in drivers’ systems; and/or
- Sober drivers as being under the influence of drugs.
While this may be explained through factors such as drugs have different effects on people, as well as different people having different tolerance levels, it also seems to underscore that:
- Though their title includes the term “expert,” DREs can make mistakes, may overlook certain info, etc.
- There can viable defenses to Colorado marijuana DUIs (and other drug-related DUI cases), particularly if the DRE in question has a history of making questionable evaluations.
- Having a skilled, experienced DUI defense attorney can be pivotal to identifying when DRE mistakes have arisen and resulted in wrongful DUI charges.
Fact 6 – When DREs arrest drivers for drug-related DUIs, we can help the accused craft the strongest possible defense.
While there may be a lot you want to know about drug recognition experts and their roles in drug-related DUI cases, including cases pertaining to Colorado marijuana DUIs the single most important fact to remember is this: if you are facing drugged driving charges in Colorado, you can get the best defense by retaining the experienced Adams County and Boulder DUI attorneys at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates.
Our lawyers understand how law enforcement officials and prosecutors build and litigate Colorado marijuana and drug DUI cases. This makes us effective at:
- Determining when mistakes may have been made in these cases
- Standing up to prosecutors in any legal setting
- Defending the accused and helping them resolve these cases as favorably as possible.
Adams County and Boulder DUI Attorneys at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates
Have you or a loved one been charged with DUI? If so, the Adams County and Boulder DUI attorneys at Peter Loyd Weber & Associates are ready to immediately start defending you. Our primary concern is protecting your constitutional rights throughout the criminal process while helping you obtain the best possible outcome to your case.
We have a proven record of success and excellence in helping our clients favorably resolve their criminal cases, and we are ready to put our experience, knowledge and skills to work for you.